Smashing Coverage For Aldi At Easter
With a plethora of brands vying for media space in the lead up to the second biggest seasonal occasion of the year, Aldi wanted an Easter PR strategy that would grab journalist and consumer attention – and ultimately, drive sales.
How do we make Aldi stand out from the crowd during a busy seasonal moment?
What we did:
We created a five-step plan to make Aldi’s Easter range unmissable:
- We grabbed journalist attention with giant, bespoke, smashable bunnies, made with Aldi’s own-brand of chocolate, Moser Roth, and filled with all of Aldi’s hero Easter products. Each creation was hand delivered to key media contacts by premium Aldi ‘chocolatiers’.
- We harnessed the power of influencers to announce the return of Aldi’s Giant Hot Cross Bun - and launch a new variant. Foodie influencer @.jack.cooks created the world’s first Giant Hot Cross Bun Breakfast Stack, complete with baked beans and black pudding. Yes, you read right!
- 15 micro influencers were gifted with a selection of goodies from Aldi’s Easter range and challenged to create an impressive Easter board. Everyone from @foodbyremi (80k followers) to emmakateblogs (26k followers) posted at least once about the range, with more than half delivering in-feed posts or TikTok videos.
- We enlisted the help of Aldi shoppers by offering chocolate fans the chance to become one of Aldi’s Chief Easter Egg Officers, sampling the new Easter Egg range. Not only will their feedback help buyers decide on next year’s products – it grabbed a lot of headlines too.
- All of the above was supported by our ‘always on’ press office, delivering samples for taste tests, thinking of quirky angles to get product coverage not just in product columns but news articles too. And newsjacking other relevant stories – for example, when we learned that Greggs were removing hot cross buns from their menus we offered their distraught customers a £5 voucher to stock up on Hot Cross Buns at Aldi.
Some delicious results:
- 1,700 pieces of media coverage
- A reach of almost 400 million, up +66% YOY
- Helped to deliver a share of voice of 6.5% above market share – and a net sentiment of 78% in March (higher than any other supermarket)
- Aldi offering customers free hot cross buns achieved an impact score* of 100!
*A Kantar measure used to calculate the impact of coverage based on a series of metrics including brand prominence, sentiment, key message inclusion, call to action etc.