Wrapping Up The Christmas News Agenda For Aldi
To promote Aldi’s unique Christmas offering and drive people into store, Clarion brought to life Aldi’s quirky Christmas offering and created talkability for the supermarket through the launch of an exclusive Pigs in Blankets restaurant.
Aldi wanted to supplement its hard-working press office with an activation that would get cut through in the crucial festive trading period. It had to fit with Aldi’s fun tone of voice, deliver the key messages of range, quality and price – and most crucially, drive people into store.
What we did:
Social listening confirmed our belief Pigs in Blankets (PIBs) are one of the most talked about foods in the lead up to Christmas. Combined with Aldi launching its biggest ever range of the tasty trimming, meant focusing the campaign on this hero product range felt as natural as wrapping a sausage in a piece of delicious bacon.
We created the first Pigs in Blanket restaurant. In return for just £5 (which was donated to Aldi’s charity partner Neighbourly) each guest could enjoy an hour’s worth of unlimited PIBs in the form of seven courses, including a bottomless bowl of Aldi’s best-sellers. To add an additional unexpected and interactive element, we created a ‘Push for PIBs’ button in a similar vein to the ‘Push for Champagne’ buttons found at popular premium restaurant Bob Bob Ricard.
To maximise ‘buzz’ to the fullest, we had a 5-step media strategy which included a pre-launch announcement, influencer gifting, exclusive media & influencer event, the world’s longest Pig in Blanket and even featuring on prime-time TV show, ‘Aldi’s Christmas Secrets’.
• Coverage KPIs smashed with 577 pieces of coverage and a reach of over 134 million
• Social buzz also went through the roof with Aldi’s social posts alone delivering a combined 3.33million reach and over 150,000 engagements
• In addition, 1.4million people watched ‘Aldi’s Christmas Secrets’ on C4
• Positive influence on Aldi’s reputation with Aldi’s ‘recommend’ metric increasing from 38.1 to 46.8 during the activity according to YouGov’s BrandIndex
• Aldi sold a record number of Pigs in Blankets over the festive season (+15.7% YOY) and the supermarket recorded its best ever Christmas sales